Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My pitbull pup has a skin condition up around his neck little

Customer Question

My pitbull pup has a skin condition up around his neck little pimple like sores now🍃scanning. Seems to scratch quite a bit off and on no fleas or parasites or had skin test when he was 6 months for mange was negative for that. His coat is thinning especially in back legs and buttocks area. No worms either. Very puzzling what it could be. Thanks. Helen xxxx *****@******.***. Any answers. Great aappreciated
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
The little pimple-like sores indicate pustules of a superficial spreading pyoderma - a bacterial (Staphylococcus, usually) skin infection. Pit bulls appear to be overrepresented with this type of infection when compared to other breeds. A systemic antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as the prescription cephalexin prescribed for a minimum of 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs should be helpful and bathing Nitro in a chlorhexidine- or benzoyl peroxide-containing shampoo should hasten remission. These shampoos are available over the counter and at Nitro's vet's hospital.
It would be prudent to perform skin scrapings once again. It's not unusual to have falsely negative skin scrapings when the demodectic mange mite is present. Those pustules are also seen secondary to such a mite infection.
Can you upload a photo of representative skin to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will send you pictures of it? Ok That was prescribed to him last vet that took the skin tests on him. Did not really do much. I bathe him in hypoallergenic shampoo also
I'll watch for your next post.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pictures have been emailed.
Thank you! Yes, this represents a superficial spreading pyoderma. A minimum of 3-4 weeks of cephalexin plus 1 week past clinical signs will be necessary. If you didn't see a positive change within the first two weeks, repeat skin scrapings should be made.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Went to vet today. Had skin tests? No mange or mites. Gave him cefalexin and prednisone. Also flea med. bringing him back 2 weeks to see if infection in his right ear. Meds for that too. Thanks.
Thank you for the update. I'm not thrilled with the use of prednisone when skin infection is present. Is Nitro so pruritic (itchy) that he needs prednisone? What does Nitro weigh and what dose of prednisone was prescribed, please?