Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our 6 pound chi ate a small bit of eaw cookie dough. He has

Customer Question

Our 6 pound chi ate a small bit of eaw cookie dough. He has thrown up off and in all day...clear/white liquid?
ehat to do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and welcome.My name is***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction. 1. Your dog eating a small amount of cookie dough is not likely to lead to a very serious or fatal incident but you may expect to see some degree of vomiting and / or diarrhoea over the next 24 - 48 hours. This sort of thing is always a gamble of course so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check him over without delay.That said that there are a number of home remedies for vomiting in the dog, these work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has a minor tummy bug. Here are some examples.1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance.Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.