Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a small animal veterinarian for 25 years .

My dog had an sac infection and was given an antibiotic

My dog had an anal sac infection and was given an antibiotic shot for it. He also developed maggots and the vet cleaned it up and gave him an injection for killing any maggots that would have gone inside. The next day he was given a B-complex injection.
My dog is very weak and is not eating. He has been drinking water that has glucose. He is walking around but is slow and weak. His stools are black.
What do we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 8 months ago.
Hi, I'm Dr. Deb. I'll do my best to help you today.
I'm so sorry that you're having this problem with your dog.

I have a few questions to ask about him first, if you don't mind:

1. How old is he?
2. What antibiotic was given, if you know?
3. Is he taking any oral drugs?
4. Was he fine before the infection and maggot problem?
5. Can you take his temperature?
6. Can you also tell me the color of his gums?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

1. How old is he? - he is about 12 years old
2. What antibiotic was given, if you know? - I dont know the antibiotic
3. Is he taking any oral drugs? - No, no oral drugs
4. Was he fine before the infection and maggot problem? - He had an anal sac infection and was suffering with that. He was fine before that.
5. Can you take his temperature? - He seems to have some temperature since his nose is dry but I am unable to take his temperature.
6. Can you also tell me the color of his gums? - Im sorry I cannot do that since he snaps.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 8 months ago.
Thanks so much for the answers to my questions.

First, let me say that black stools (aka melena) can be somewhat concerning since this usually reflects digested blood secondary to a bleed somewhere in the intestinal tract.
If he's becoming weak this could be secondary to anemia. It's a shame that you can't check his gums (although I certainly don't want you to become injured) since they might be on the paler side if this is occurring.

I'm not a huge fan of coincidence although I'm having a difficult time connecting an anal gland infection with his current problems. However, it's possible that the infection triggered something like an auto-immune condition.
It's also possible that it's not related at all and something else is going on such as a tick disease or cancer I'm sad to say.

I've also seen idiosyncratic reactions to antibiotics of this sort although it's not common.

I'd love to be able to advise you to give him something over the counter which might help with this problem but it sounds like his condition is serious enough that a recheck would be advisable.

I realize that my answer may not be what you want to hear but I would be doing a disservice to both you and your dog if I were less than truthful and honest in my response to you. I hope you understand.

I also hope that this is helpful in understanding that there may be something fairly serious going on with him. Deb

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry that you rated bad service and I must confess that I’m somewhat surprised that you did. I answered your question in a timely manner and provided several explanations for your dog's symptoms although I realize that they may not be ones that are particularly good ones or ones that you want to hear.

I'm truly sorry that I couldn't provide a more positive answer to you but in any event, I wish you and your dog the best. Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
A recheck has been scheduled with the vet. I did check online on the conditions you have mentioned but it is mentioned that in that case the dog generally has diarrhea, my dog has solid stools.
His condition is not deteriorating. He is walking around and is slowly improving. We are giving little food. He was not walking until yesterday but has started today. His wounds seems dry now but the concern is on the stools. Is it because he is not eating? What can be given to help.
The vet mentions that it is because of worms in his stomach but I need a second opinion.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the clarification and additional information

I may have inadvertently assumed his stools were loose which is clearly not the case. My apologies for that.
My impression was also that he was worsening; the fact that he seems to be improving each day is obviously a very good sign.

Internal parasites might be responsible for fresh blood in the stool but they aren't usually a cause for a black stool...and usually the stools are looser when parasites are the problem.

I wouldn't expect dark stools because he's not eating though. Vomiting yellow bile can often be seen with an empty stomach but you're not seeing this behavior.
A small ulcer in his stomach, for example, might be an explanation for the color of his stools. And, these can sometimes heal on their own.

You could give him over the counter Pepcid AC which could help. The dose would be 0.25 mg/lb twice a day. This drug would certainly cause no harm.

Deb

Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a small animal veterinarian for 25 years .
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for reversing your rating; I appreciate it.

I also hope that you'll keep me posted about your dog. I'd very much like to know how he makes out.
You probably know that even though you've rated, we can still continue to communicate at no additional charge to you. I can also send you a follow up email in a few days to which you can respond when you have the chance.

Regards, Deb
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

How long is it okay for him not to eat???? We are giving him water with glucose... but are really worried that he is not taking solids. We gave him a little chicken soup as well(blad ofcourse)

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 8 months ago.

I don't like to see a dog this age not eat anything for more than 48 hours. The older dogs don't have as many reserves as the younger ones do.

One option would be to mix canned food in a blender with a lot of water (or pedialyte or clam/tuna juice or your low sodium chicken broth) to the consistency of soup or gruel. See if he will "drink" his meals.
Obviously, if he won't let you look at his gums, he's probably not going to let you dribble any of this into his mouth with a syringe or turkey baster but I suppose you could try. Approach from the side of his mouth (rather than the front), insert the baster and gently squeeze it into his mouth.

You could ask your vet about appetite stimulants such as Mirtazapine or Cyproheptadine or Cerenia at his checkup. These don't work in every dog, but they do work for some so I always give them a try. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 8 months ago.
Hello:
I'm just following up on our conversation about your dog. How are things going with him? Deb