Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

my dog is 4 y.o. border collie , flat back retriever mix, has

my dog is 4 y.o. border collie , flat back retriever mix, has been noted to be drinking lots of water and peeing many times a day, now has two times be laying down and she urinated where she was sleeping or laying down,. She has never peed in the house before. I will make a vet apt., but am wondering what could be going on for her.?
Alli is her name.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

The possible differentials for Alli are going to include a urinary tract infection, kidney infection, kidney disease, bladder stones/ crystals, diabetes, or even a bladder tumor. The highest probability of diagnosis in a dog Alli's age (in order) are going to include a urinary tract infection, diabetes, bladder stones/ crystals, kidney disease

Dr. Altman :

I would definitely advise collecting a first morning sample tomorrow before your appointment (First morning is best because it is the most concentrated, based on a 12 hour fast so protein of the diet does not effect the results, and often the most telling sample of the day). If more than an hour old please refrigerate the sample in a tupperware container but reading it quickly (within that hour) after collection is preferred to reduce the risk of creating crystals/ casts while sitting

Dr. Altman :

Please let me know if you have additional questions regarding the information I have provided today

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The likely tx. given her age, of 4 in order you listed for 1st two; Urinary tract or diabetes? Can a dog tolerate concentrated cranberry extract in the amount of 1132mg tb. Does it matter I am more then an hour away from the vet closest to us, so if I collect, then have early apt, I can take a cooler for the sample per your recommendation, is this correct. Is there a risk for dogs for untreated urinary tract infection, do they clear up on their own?

Thank you for your help and found this very helpful.

Treatments for diabetes= insulin injections. Unfortunately dogs are not responsive to the oral option. Urinary tract infection is antibiotics, length dependent on the severity of the infection.

Cranberry extract is something that can be used to reduce the risk of recurrent urinary tract infections. The dose listed is a little high in my opinion. I would consider 1/2 tbsp or approximately 500 mg daily.

It can effect the results if the sample is more than an hour away only in the fact that crystals can form in this time but low risk within a 1-2 hour window. It will not effect the results demonstrating a urinary tract infection nor diabetic diagnosis.

I am not sure if you have ever had a urinary tract infection but they can be quite painful! The risk of not treating one can lead to stone formation in the bladder, bladder wall thickening, and/ or kidney infections. So I definitely would not expect it to clear up on its own.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!
Hi Anita,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Alli. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman