Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

I have a 5 yr old American Bulldog who is slightly overweight.

I have a 5 yr old American Bulldog who is slightly overweight. He has a history of ear infections but nothing recent. His ears look fine,not red, no black gunk whatsoever. The problem is today he has been breathing rapidly and does not seem to want to lay down. He's drinking and eating okay. He just seems a little weird for some reason. Normally he's pretty relaxed. Should I worry?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Odin.

Have to be careful. A breathing irregularity especially in a breed predisposed to airway problems should always be taken seriously.

What could be some possible causes?
- hypersensitivity reaction (insect bite or sting)
- nausea
- pain!
- hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormone)
- stress induced
- primary problem within the lungs
- heart disease

That is a list of some of the more common causes for breathing changes.

Good that still eating and drinking well.
I wouldn't be against saying you could give some benadryl antihistamine, because it can have some sedative effects, but if this breathing persists for a few more hours, he may need an ER trip for a good evaluation.

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.

Not wanting to lay down does not necessarily mean there is a joint problem or pain issue, and doesn't necessarily point to gastrointestinal problems as well. He sounds a bit agitated. Wish I could do more. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. Otherwise, I greatly appreciate your rating to close the question. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Hi Trish,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Odin. How is everything going?