Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a small animal veterinarian for 25 years .

what danger signs should I look for if 8week old puppy falls

what danger signs should I look for if 8week old puppy falls on head?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Deb. I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm so sorry for this concern for Talulah.
I do have a few questions to ask about her first, if you don't mind:

1. How long ago did she fall on her head?
2. How did the accident happen?
3. Any balance issues? Any lameness issues? Does she know who you are and react when you talk to her?

4. When did she last eat something?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

It happened about 2 and1/2 hours ago . I had her in a baby sling while making my bed, on my body. she went to jump out of the sling on to the bed and fell down. she doesn't seem to have balance issues when she walks just seems very sleepy. She did walk around right after and played with her toys some but then wanted to just go get in her bed. She does react to me when I talk to her but I have to wake her up and stimulate her. She kisses my face and wags her tail, I put her down and she just wants to snuggle back up to me.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 8 months ago.
Cristy:
Thanks so much for the additional information.

I can understand why you might be so worried about her but it doesn't sound like she's experiencing any trauma from the fall. A puppy's head is pretty hard; if she were going to have neurologic issues from the fall, I'd expect her to behave differently...balance issues, possibly vomiting, acting stuporous, for example.

It's possible that her behavior is normal after the shock she had and she just needs time to get over it.

It's also possible that her behavior isn't related at all to the fall but rather she's a little hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) which is a very, very common problem in these small breeds at this age.
I'd like for you to smear some pancake syrup or honey on her gums or see if she'll eat about one teaspoon of it and see what happens after 5-10 minutes....see if she appears more alert and less sleepy.

I'll await your response back to me after you give her some honey though. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a small animal veterinarian for 25 years .
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Well good news, I woke her up for dinner and she ate like a champ. Iwill however try the honey as well, just to be safe. I guess I am an overly paranoid mama with my new baby. Just got scared. Thank you for your help. I am now going to try and not throw up myself.

Thanks,

Cristy

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 8 months ago.
Cristy:
You're welcome but please don't apologize!! I know what it's like to feel helpless in situations like this when you're thinking the worst.

It does sound like she's going to be fine but keep the low blood sugar possibility in mind for the future if she starts to act a little unsteady on her feet or doesn't respond as you would expect. It happens a lot to these little guys so this conversation wasn't a total loss:))))

Take care and try to relax now that you know she's going to be ok:) Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 8 months ago.
Cristy:

Thank you for the rating and bonus; it's greatly appreciated.
I'm certain that Talulah is going to be fine but I'll check back in with you tomorrow to be sure.

Even though you've rated, we can still continue to communicate at no additional charge to you. I can also send you a follow up email to which you can respond when you have the time to do so. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the request for additional information.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 8 months ago.
Cristy:
I’m just following up on our conversation about Talulah. How is she doing? Deb