Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

Our 16 year old King Charles is trying to clear his throat

Our 16 year old King Charles is trying to clear his throat then struggles to breath. He is not right
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Barny.
I have a Cavalier myself, and unfortunately, I lost my other Cavalier of 10 years of age 1 month ago due to severe heart disease.

With this type of breathing you are describing, it is critical to get into an emergency vet. I am greatly concerned about a serious lung problem or a complication from congestive heart failure.

Very sorry to hear Barny is not doing well. With a breathing issue, at this age, and for this breed, I would get him into an emergency vet. It's worth the trip.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. Otherwise, I greatly appreciate your rating to close the question. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Hi Sandra,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Barny. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Barney is doing ok, your diagnosis was correct. He had fluid on his lungs and his heart needed to be slowed down. He is doing well with tablet.
Thank you for your help

Sandra Paul and Barney
Happy to hear about the improvement Sandra.
Good Luck