Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

Hello dr. Andy, my 14 1/2 years old siberian husky male start

Hello dr. Andy, my 14 1/2 years old siberian husky male start having difficulty walking like dragging his back legs a little, especially at the end of our walk. Or sometimes he struggle to get up after sleeping. I noticed these changes last couple months.I did his blood work 7 months ago and it was good. I'm very concerned. Is it beginning of arthritis? What vitamins and supplement would you recommend? Anything i can do to to ease his pain or slow down the process? He is 65 pnds. I feed him eukanuba 5+ large dog. He loves going for a walk and gets excited when i take the leash, should i continue with his walks, how long it should be? We walk at his pace around an hour and sometimes he doesn't want to go home but it breaks my heart to see him tired or in pain.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Pharaoh.

Tanya, yes, I would be suspicious either for more advanced arthritis (not early arthritis). It only seems early because maybe there haven't been any major symptoms until now.

Another concern is for some spinal problems like a disc herniation in the spine, which can definitely impact the function of the hindlegs.

Walks, for now, should be short a few blocks at most, until consulting your vet. Yes, there are definitely supplements, non-steoridal anti-inflammatory drugs, and pain medicine that may help a lot!

A few common medications prescribed by vets (not all options,but many of the most common choices): NSAIDS,
Pain Control

Currently, one of my favorite joint support supplements on the market is Dasuquin or Cosequin. Here is some more information about it. Many veterinarians and clients have observed that after a few months on a quality joint support product, they can often reduce the dose of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications there pets may already be taking. A supplement can take several weeks to observe benefit, so it is important additional anti-inflammatory or pain medications are used in the meantime.
Product Information about Dasuquin / Cosequin
Also, an incredible clinically tested food to help with joint problems is J/D.
J/D Diet
Another supplement to review would be Adequan injections for joint health. These injections are also quite popular and have helped many pets with arthritic disease.
Adequan injections

Supplements can take several weeks to help, so I would immediately discuss with your vet about starting at least a non-steroidal medication, as that could have the quickest impact for Pharaoh.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. Otherwise, I greatly appreciate your rating to close the question. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.