Dr. Diane
Dr. Diane, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Regional. 20 years experience small animal practice and emergency medicine.
47858

my toy Pomeranian has been making choking sounds but is eating

my toy Pomeranian has been making choking sounds but is eating and drinking fine

Dr. Diane :

Hello, I'm Dr. Diane and will try to help you with Bella. Is she making a gagging sound? Is she coughing anything up?

Customer:

yes gagging sounds but not constant

Dr. Diane :

Of course, it's hard to say for sure without seeing/ hearing her, but it's quite possible it may be kennel cough or tracheobronchitis, as dogs with that oftentimes sound like they are "choking" or "gagging". Here is a link about kennel cough: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=600 Check out the link when you get a chance b/c there is a video on there that shows a dog coughing/gagging w/ kennel cough so you can hear if that sounds familiar. Dogs with kennel cough can still eat and drink...dogs that are truly choking cannot. Oftentimes kennel cough is treated with antibiotics and sometimes cough suppressants, prescribed by your vet. Hope this helps!

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX also growling, but almost making the same gagging sound at another dog visiting us, im thinking maybe she irritated her throat ?

Dr. Diane :

Maybe, but also they are more likely to do the coughing/gagging when they are excited and especially if pulling on a leash, so it may be a good idea to use a harness while walking her for a couple of weeks. But if in doubt or it's worsening, it would probably be a good idea to have her seen, just to make sure.

Customer:

thank you very much Dr. !

Dr. Diane :

You are very welcome and please let me know how she is in a few days! :)