Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My 9 month old miniature schnauzer started excessively drooling a couple days ago. It seem

My 9 month old miniature schnauzer started excessively drooling a couple days ago. It seems only when he sleeps. He isnt really eating. Hes only eaten a little bit. He seems a little more lethargic. When he yawns, he seems to be careful with his mouth. I have checked and checked. Doesnt seem like any teeth are broken. What else could it be? He did chew on a stick. Could he have gotten a splinter?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Duke.
Absolutely, there could still be a foreign fragment lodged between the teeth or roof of the mouth.

There may have been some type of soft tissue injury to the mouth that is also bothering him. A 9 month old dog should not be having eating issues. So, he is clearly either uncomfortable or he is nauseated.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day, which should be divided into two or three doses. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day divided. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

But, definitely, he needs to get into a vet. especially, if a antacid does not help him or resolve the situation, I would schedule an examination by tomorrow.

I see you tried some pepto, so its okay to try some prilosc or pepcid instead. Very sorry to hear Duke is not feeling well. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. Otherwise, I greatly appreciate your rating to close the question. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Im thinking he has something going on with his mouth. What do you think the damaged tissue would look like or what would something lodged between his teeth look like? I want to examine everything before I bring him in. I have touched his teeth and it doesnt seem to bother him at all. So I think its his mouth itself and its hard to see with such a small mouth. I will take him to the vet, I just want to have a good idea of what it is.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi April.
If something is between the teeth or lodged on the roof of the mouth, you will see it! It will definitely appear like it doesn't belong there. No different than your mouth.

Yes, it can be hard to see. Even a vet utilizes technicians and good light sources to evaluate thoroughly.

But, I do feel its worth the visit based on your description of the symptoms. Sorry again to hear about this complication with Duke.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

I will look around and see if there are any cuts, splinters or pieces of stick stuck.

He's a chewer, so im guessing that's what it is.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like a plan.
Good Luck April and I will hope for a speedy recovery.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management