knstrand
knstrand, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian
71139618

my 12-year-old Sheltie (diagnosed a couple of years ago with

my 12-year-old Sheltie (diagnosed a couple of years ago with ataxia) is now running around the house in an agitated manner. His movements are extremely rapid.
I took him out to pee, so that's not the problem.

knstrand :

Hello, my name isXXXXX I can try to help answer your question about Laddie

knstrand :

Sorry to hear this is happening. Was his episode of ataxia something that resolved? or something he has suffered with continuously the last 2 years?

knstrand :

Is it possible Laddie got ahold of something he shouldn't such as prescription or recreational meds?

Customer:

No, no meds around.

knstrand :

Are there any mushrooms growing in your yard? Would he be one to eat something like that outside?

Customer:

No mushrooms.

Customer:

He doesn't actually eat very well, because he doesn't have many teeth either.

knstrand :

How about the ataxia? Was it something he got well from 2 years back, or has it been ongoing?

Customer:

It has been ongoing.

Customer:

He has just had a large bowel movement on the floor. My husband is taking him outside

knstrand :

Was the BM runny or unusual in any way?

Customer:

runny

knstrand :

It's possible he is suffering from stomach discomfort and just feels it coming on. He may vomit and have the runs tonight

Customer:

That could be - he has always had extreme discomfort in his lower belly

knstrand :

You can offer him a bland diet tomorrow such as cooked white rice and cottage cheese mixed together

Customer:

Okay - I have to do the hamburger rice thing on a regular basis for him -- but this agitation is something new

knstrand :

You can even give him a pepcid ac to settle his stomach

Customer:

Good idea. We have some from another episode (not this severe though)

knstrand :

With the history of ataxia, he might be progressing toward something like a seizure..... maybe I'm totally off base, but if the agitation is new ..... sometimes they can sense an oncoming seizure

knstrand :

If this happens, or if anything more than diarrhea occurs, you might want to consider a trip to the emergency clinic

Customer:

I was beginning to think it was something neurological - and thank you for your response - we'll call our regular vet tomorrow, and in the meantime - cottage cheese, rice, and pepid ac

knstrand :

You are welcome. Hopefully this helped. Do you have any other questions?

Customer:

No, I'm good. Thank you!

Hi Margaret,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Laddie. How is everything going?

knstrand
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello -

I rated you as "Excellent Service" - in fact the dog vomited quite a bit, had the runs, then was fine after that. So you were right on the money when you thought it was an intestinal problem.

Thank you!

You are welcome. So glad Laddie is doing better.