Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

I have a 13 week old Brittany spaniel that last night, running

I have a 13 week old Brittany spaniel that last night, running to find out what I was doing in the laundry room, careened into a single stair and has been limping ever since.
She does walk on it but does have a fairly pronounced limp, move it, play, and can go up and down 1-3 stairs, (which is all we let her so bc she's so small). She is still playing with my Labrador, doesn't seem to be in any obvious discomfort, and when I palpate from the shoulder all the way down to her toes, nothing bothers her.
What do you recommend? Do you think she may have a dislocation?

Dr. Whitehead :

Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear about Daisy. The good news is with her age and the fact that you can move it around and it is not bothering her the chance of a dislocation is minimal. Most likely she has suffered a sprain or strain in her leg somewhere, such as her wrist, elbow or shoulder. The best thing is to keep her as quiet as possible. She should not play with the other dog for at least a week. No stairs what so ever. She should be limited to go outside on a leash for short walks to go potty and then back inside. Now I know this is extremely hard to do in a young puppy who wants to be extremely active but do your best job. Running, jumping, and stairs can put the most pressure on her leg and slow down healing. You can also give her tylenol at a dose of 5 mg per pound every 12 hours. This will help reduce pain and inflammation just for a couple of days. But again rest is the most important thing to allow the injury to heal. Puppies heal very quickly so she will most likely be better in a few days up to a week at most. If you see any worsening though or if she does not improve have her seen by your vet to make sure nothing else more serious is going on. I hope this helps and i hope this makes sense. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. You can give a little benadryl at a dose of 1 mg per pound every 8 hours also to kind of make her a little sleepy so she doesn't want to play as much. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you!
You are very welcome. I hope she feels better soon.
Hi Amber Caruthers,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Daisy. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead