Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

Can Thyroid medication cause gingival hyperplasia as a side

Can Thyroid medication cause gingival hyperplasia as a side effect

Dr. Whitehead :

Hello there. My name isXXXXX am sorry to hear about Gus and his gingival hyperplasia. The most common cause of gingival hyperplasia in dogs is the actual bacteria in their mouth. Which I am sure you are aware of since you are cleaning his mouth and teeth after eating. It has not been documented in dogs that thyroid medications cause this. Most commonly it is caused by calcium channel blockers in dogs and more commonly cyclosporine in dogs. We also see it more commonly in boxers and possibly more represented in mastiff breeds like Gus. In humans one studied showed 11 out of 1000 patients on thyroid medications had gingival hyperplasia. Which is a very low rate. Again it hasn't been shown in dogs. So most likely this is not the cause of gyngival hyperplasia in Gus. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is there a oral rinse that I can use until I see my vet next Monday to help with the inflammation?

Yes absolutely there is a rinse called CET rinse that does a wonderful job reducing bacteria in the mouth that causes inflammation. A lot of vets carry it and i believe pet stores do too. It has an antimicrobial substance in it that kills the bacteria on the surface of the teeth responsible for tartar and inflammation.