Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

I have a 6 year old yorkie-poo. She appeared to be going into

I have a 6 year old yorkie-poo. She appeared to be going into heat, but she is warm like she has a fever but her nose isnt hot. She has some bloody dischard from her vulva, she wont eat but drinks water, is listless and loks depressed. She usually follows me everywhere but spent all day on her cushion. This is the second day she's acted like this. This wouldnt be her first heat but she's never acted like this before. She has been vaccinated for distemper in the past but I cant remember her last booster shot (a year ago? or 18 months) - could it be distemper (please say no)

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Coco's situation. When was her last heat cycle prior to this current discharge?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can't remember - about a year ago - I am afraid its distemper and my vet is closed and we live in a small town and have no emergency service

Ok Marlene. I'm going to say that I don't feel that distemper is that likely here. The number one suspicion that I have is an infection in her uterus called a pyometra. When an intact female is having vaginal discharge, they are dumpy, not eating and drinking water - a pyometra is extremely, extremely suspect. This type of infection is one that is treated by surgery to spay her to remove the infected uterus that is in her body. At this time at home, you can just keep her quiet and let her have access to water. She needs to get to your vet tomorrow first thing to have them check her over and more than likely spay her. Once she has the infected uterus removed from her body, she'll feel so much better. It is good that there is discharge as this is letting some of the infection out and it helps her to not get as sick as fast. Here is a good link on pyometras I want you to read.

Please let me know what questions this brings up. I'm hoping that Coco is feeling better soon!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It sounds like a possibility. We are taking her in first thing in the morning. She only started showing symptoms yesterday morning. I thought it might be a cold. She doesnt have some of the other distemper symptoms I saw searching online. She's so little I am so worried about her. What are the risks involved in the surgery if she needs an emergency spay?

There are always risks associated with any anesthetic / surgical procedure like a spay. But, in her situation, the risks are very, very small when compared to the seriousness of the infection in her uterus. If the infection isn't cleared, it will ultimately get the better of her. Your vet should be able to do the pyometra surgery very safely as it is similar to doing a spay procedure. The risks are anesthetic complications, rupture of the uterus if it is very full and infection from this in the body cavity, and bleeding. If this isn't a pyometra, it will be very surprising. I know she's little, but I do pyometra surgeries all the time on little one's like her and they do well!
Hi Marlene,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Coco. How is everything going?