Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

Our little dog was given interceptor for flea and tick protection

Our little dog was given interceptor for flea and tick protection and has been panting and whining all day. Can we give him something to make him feel better at home? Maybe 1/2 an aspirin??

Hi Carolyn, I'm Dr. Deb. I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Tippy.
Are you sure you mean Interceptor since this is an oral drug given to prevent heartworm disease.
If you mean a topical flea and tick product, while most dogs tolerate topical products with no ill side effects whatsoever, some dogs do appear to experience sensitivity to them.

Yes, you could give Aspirin at a dose of 10 mg/lb twice a day with food to avoid stomach upset as long as he's not taking any other anti-inflammatory drugs. This drug does have anti-inflammatory as well as anti-pain properties.

You might also consider Benadryl at a dose of 1 mg/lb twice a day. Sedation is a common side effect which might not be such a bad thing in this situation.

If you applied a topical product and he's reacting to it, then I would bathe him with Dawn Dishwashing liquid which can help remove any residual product which might remain on his body.

I hope this helps. Deb

Thanks so much for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

I hope that Tippy is feeling better soon and I'd like to check back in with you tomorrow about him.
Even though you've rated, we can still continue to communicate at no additional charge to you. I can also send you a follow up email to which you can respond when you have the time.

Good luck, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Tippy. How is he acting today? Deb