Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I adopted a Maltese from the Humane Society about 3 weeks ago.We

I adopted a Maltese from the Humane Society about 3 weeks ago.We think she is about 3.She is very timid.When I first got her she really didn't like to be held,she does let me hold her now,and she will sleep next to me on the couch during the day, though she prefers her crate most of the time. She seems to be getting more trusting.Would there be a reason her front teeth would have been pulled out. She has all the teeth she needs to eat, and they are in good condition. She doesn't seem to know how to play.She is not aggressive, and she will let me put her on her back to comb and rub her belly.She was thrown out of a car and left there so we have no history on her.Can I get her vaccinated? The Humane Society kind of abandoned her also, I was suppossed to be fostering her for 10 days , and then they were going to vet her. I will be doing that now.They have not answered my calls. What can I do to make her more comfortable?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 10 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Nice work with this dog so far. It sounds like she is coming around. Try to get her around people and other dogs and different situations as much as possible that will get her confidence up and will get her more socialized and used to things. It sounds like she is still fearful. That will change the more she sees different situations.

The front teeth may have been cracked or broken after the car accident. That would lead to them pulling the teeth.

You are ok to get her vaccinated, that should not be a problem. Most vets will do 1 year vaccines the first time and then 3 year vaccines the rest of her life.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

she had no teeth in the front when she was left there. Do you think she was used for breeding and they pulled them so she couldnt nip at the other dog?

No, I would guess they were either infected and pulled or there was some type of trauma at some point in time and they got pulled. It's possible that they got infected and fell out, but I would guess they were pulled by a vet at some point in time.

It would be very hard for someone to pull all the front teeth in an awake animal maliciously at home.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)