Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Any idea the best way to explain to children that it might

Any idea the best way to explain to children that it might need to put him down so he doesn't suffer?
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm sorry you're in this situation. Bone cancer is tough to deal with.

The best way to try to explain it is to go over the good times with them. Explain to them the things that the dog used to love to do- that may be going for walks or car rides or play with a certain toy or chase a cat, ect. Once dogs are no longer doing these things, then you know the quality of life is declining. It's that point where you explain how it's the last gift you can give to end any pain and prevent any suffering in the future.

It's not easy, but that usually helps and kids typically understand when the dog is not feeling well and when it's time.

Hi Scot,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Dr. Gary for checking in, it looks like were going to put Bernie down Monday or Tuesday of next week as it has it has simply progressed a little too far, and now unable to squat to go to the bathroom, he has just lost any quality of life. He is 12, apparently a gong long life for a Bernese Mountain Dog!
Thanks for the kind follow-up
I'm sorry to hear that. It does sound like that is the most humane decision for him.