Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My 12 year old shih tzu had a bout of bloody diarrhea and vomiting

My 12 year old shih tzu had a bout of bloody diarrhea and vomiting two weeks ago. I took him to the vet he was treated and seemed to be fine. But I have just had a feeling since that he isn't acting normal. The vet changed his food to royal canin g/I which he ate but not the full amount. He has had increased thirst aand has woken in the morning with a sweaty belly. He just isn't acting right. All his blood work was normal
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 10 months ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for him. first, bloodwork may have been normal a few weeks ago, but it may be well worth repeating the blood test just as a precaution.

It is possible that the formula of the food is causing the increased thirst.

Another consideration is that there is still some nausea problem. Therefore, it wouldn't hurt at all to do a trial with a antacid just to see if helpful!

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.

More important then the vet!
More important than anything I say!

Trust your own instincts. If you suspect he is still a bit off, you are probably right and further testing or some additional therapy may be necessary.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. Otherwise, I greatly appreciate your rating to close the question. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

He has also been eating grass and leaves, any idea why?

Suspicious.
That fits perfectly with my theory that even if he is eating, he may still be nauseated and not feeling well. Don't let him eat any more of that stuff, and definitely start at least prilosec once a day or pepcid twice a day.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
Hello
I hope everything is going okay. May I be of any further assistance?