Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

We have a 10 year old Bernese Mountain dog who was recently

We have a 10 year old Bernese Mountain dog who was recently diagnosed with a form of bone cancer in his leg. The vet said it would probably kill the dog within 6 months as it spreads! They told us the only way to possibly leghthen his life would be to amputate the limb! I don't see this as avreasonable, nor humane option for 130 lbs dog, thoughts, suggestions
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Bernie.
I agree 100% with everything you said.
It is possible that if available in your area, he may be a good radiation therapy candidate. That would also buy some possible time.

Otherwise, the goal is medical management as much as possible.
That means:
1. Some type of anti-inflammatory either non-steoridal or a regular steroid
2. Tramadol pain medication
3. Gabapentin is another medication your vet could reach for as well.

But, your interpretation of the situation is spot on. Very sorry to hear about the diagnosis.
Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. Otherwise, I greatly appreciate your rating to close the question. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.