How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Matt Your Own Question
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 5764
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Matt is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, Our Staffy just ate 9 small chocolate muffins (has little

This answer was rated:

Hi, Our Staffy just ate 9 small chocolate muffins (has little choc chips in them). Will he be okay?
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

How much does Boof weigh?

About how much do the muffins weigh?

How long ago did he eat the muffins?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Bood weighs about 20kg, the muffins weigh less than 360g. About ten minutes ago.


Thank you for the additional information.

I have good news for you! Chocolate can be toxic to dogs though Boof at 20 kilograms would need to eat about 400 grams of milk chocolate to have signs of chocolate toxicity such as vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, increased heart rate and hyperactivity. Since the muffins weighed less then 360 grams and the chocolate amount in the muffins was much less then the weight of the muffins, I do not see any risks of chocolate toxicity for him. If anything he may develop a mild digestive disturbance from eating something that he is not used to eating therefore I would watch him for any diarrhea or vomiting over the next 24 hours.

If Boof does have any vomiting or diarrhea, I would recommend holding off of food for about 8 hours. This will allow his stomach some time to settle down. After 8 hours I would then feed him a bland food such as boiled boneless chicken breasts mixed with some cooked rice for a couple of days.

Overall you do not need to induce vomiting tonight as he really should be just fine.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question!
Dr. Matt and 2 other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you