Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Hi, my dog has a sensitive stomach. He has been in special

my dog has a sensitive stomach. He has been in special diet food for several years and it helps. However sometimes he has bad days when the stomach rumbles, he wants to eat grass and puke up white foam.

he rarely has diarrhea but since 2 days he has semi loose poop, a bit "slimy"

his general state is fine. cold nose, energy, happy wagging tail

but he stands in kneeling position a lot and licks his paws and the floor. i.e he wants to puke.

my question is: when humans have heartburn we can take neutralizing medication. Does this exist for dogs? or what type of treat/food can i give him to release his discomfort until it is better.

Thanks in advance!

BR,
Helena owner of Olle
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 9 months ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

You are absolutely correct that dogs can take acid neutralizing medications and they happen to be the same medicines as humans! Can you tell me how much your dog weighs and I'll give you the different options.

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

12.5 kg

i live in Shanghai China, so maybe you can give some different drug options since i assume u are in the US and not all meds are available here.

Cheers

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 9 months ago.
If you have Zantac (Ranitidine 75mg)or Pepcid (Famotidine 10mg) you can give 1/2 tablet twice daily as needed indefinitely or just as needed for upset stomachs. Typically these drugs are widely available and over the counter. If you have access to something else over the counter let me know what it is and I may still be able to help.

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

how fast shall the relief come and for how long does it stay?

how often can I give it and for how many consecutive days?

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 9 months ago.
Relief is usually seen within 1/2-2hrs depending on how irritated the stomach is.

It stays in effect for 8-12 hours.

You can give it 2x daily, and some dogs that are under my care are on it 2x daily for their whole life, others are on it just when they need it.

Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 10 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 9 months ago.
Hi Helena,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Olle. How is everything going?

Dr. Dan