Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

is convenia deadly for dogs my dog got a shot of it yesterday

is convenia deadly for dogs my dog got a shot of it yesterday and now i am worried
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 months ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am happy to be able to help you today.

Convenia is commonly used in Veterinary medicine for both dogs and cats and is an antibiotic that stays within the system for 2 weeks allowing constant effects against any bacterial infection that may be present during this time. In answer to you question - convenia is absolutely safe when given as directed (as per the label). The product itself has very good safety data behind it. It would be very unlikely that Lily would have an adverse reaction to Convenia, but the only real reported adverse reactions to this drug include vomiting and diarrhea (and only a very small percentage of dogs receiving the drug).

I have used Convenia in many dogs and cats since it became available about 5 years ago and have never had a patient have an issue with the drug. You can read more about convenia online here: https://online.zoetis.com/US/EN/Products/Pages/convenia/peace-of-mind.aspx

Hopefully Lily is currently ok? Let me know if you need any further specific help won't you. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

So all of the Bad things that I am reading about it online are not true

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 months ago.
Hi Jenny,

If you search for any Veterinary medicine online you tend to get about 3 pages of negative and worrying comments pop up in Google first and foremost. This is primarily because adverse events tend to get so much more attention than the actual excellent effects of these drugs! If your Vet used Convenia as is directed on the label (using the correct dosage and giving via the subcutaneous method), then the chance of an adverse effect is extremely unlikely.

There are adverse events with every drug (be it human or Veterinary) and while these are often the first thing to be reported on the web, they are also very uncommon with most of these drugs.

Typically if Lily was going to have a reaction to the Convenia, it would have been within the first 12 hours of receiving the injection.

I hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian - BVSc
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 months ago.
Hi Jenny,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lily. How is everything going?

Pet Doc