Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

i have a dog that is very ill and has been to a vet and the

Customer Question

i have a dog that is very ill and has been to a vet and the problem is still inconclusive, I would like to get a second opinion. he has sever abdominal pain and loss of appetite. this is a condition that may have happened on a minor scale in January of this year but may also not be related. i brought him in to the vet 2 weeks ago and he had a bloated stomach that looked more like a pregnant dog. on the day i brought him in i discovered that he has hardly been eating for at least a month i share a yard with neighbors so i am not his only source of food. At the vet it was discovered that his belly was full of fluid is was pinkish in color and had a high amount of white blood cells. he did not have a fever and his blood work came back like a perfectly healthy dog. an x-ray was done and many parts of him could not be seen due to all the fluid. then fluid was extracted (almost a liter) but not all of it because the vet feared taking too much out of him. the a sonogram was done and you could see most of his insides but some was still a bit obstructed due to the fluid still in him. his intestines looked normal as did his liver and stomach. there was a fatty mass by his bladder but the bladder its self looked fine. he was put on prednisone cerenia and minocycline. prednisone is what he was put on in January of this year and he seemed to make an extremely fast recovery. this time there was some improvement after a couple of days. my dog became much more active but his ability to walked up and down stairs became worse. after a week i was supposed to give him a half dose of prednisone and took a big turn for the worse that same day he also was off the cerenia. i called the vet and she had me put him back on a full dose of the prednisone and get more cerenia, by the end of the day he was much better (by better i mean active but his ability to use stairs still worsens). yesterday he was not doing too well and has continued on through today and now i feel like i need to make a decision weather to possibly do another sonogram or a ct scan for my vet to determine a problem or euthanasia but my vet seems uncertain on witch way to go particularly because my dog has had good responses to the medication so i was hoping to get a second opinion. and maybe some other thoughts on what his illness could be and if it would even be treatable. he is a 10 year old male unneutered dog.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 9 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Scruffy's condition....I know this is very difficult because you do not know what is causing this condition.

The causes for this ascites fluid that Scruffy has and this depression are as follows:

Liver Disease

Heart Disease

Abdominal Cancer

Inflammation of the lining of the abdomen

Nephritis due to protein issues

The diagnostics so far have not told you what is causing this condition so it is important that you follow up with other diagnostics. The most common cause for this fluid , weight loss and lethargy would be Mesenteric Lymphoma which is difficult to diagnose without a CT and/or MRI. The fact that this responded to the prednisone which is an anti cancer medication may tell you that there is a cancer lesion that has not yet been detected.

If the liver enzymes are normal and the EKG and/or Echocardiogram shows that Scruffy does not have heart disease, then this may be the problem.

For your peace of mind, I would urge you to do the further diagnostics until the cause is detected.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

Thank you so much, Phil for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I will send you a follow up in a few days to see how Scruffy is doing and if I can answer any other questions.

Good morning, Phil. This is Dr. Loretta checking in on Scruffy. Is he doing any better? Thanks!