Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

my lab/shephard thats around 40lbs. continues to have bad chunks

my lab/shephard thats around 40lbs. continues to have bad chunks of flaking skin. Not even 24 hrs after a bath with extensive rinsing does he smell and start to scratch again. No wheat diet, we feed him healthy food known for skin problems
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 8 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about Cooper's condition.

Most likely this is an allergic reaction and the constant scratching will cause a secondary pyoderma or skin infection which causes the odor and flaky skin. The best treatment if this is the case for Cooper is as follows:

1. Give Cooper Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days.
  2. Apply Betadine to the areas that appear red or irritated every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation. These can both be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.
  3. Bath weekly with Malaseb or Dermaplex which will remove the scabs or flakes. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.
  4. Give a daily supplement of either Vitacoat or Derm Caps that can be purchased at the pet store and will add moisture to Cooper's skin.

If there is no response, then your vet will have to run tests such as skin scrapings and cultures to determine the cause and then they will treat according to these results. Some dogs will suffer from a Hypothyroid condition that will cause this skin issue also so this should be checked for Cooper.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I have been giving him benadryl when needed for excessive itching, I wasnt sure if more was always better. I have trimmed away his hair before which seems to help for a bit. Thank you so much for all this information...Im going to get started on this. What do you think of lavender oil as well?

Good for you....the dose of Benadryl can go up to 2 mg per pound but if this does not help, you can try Zyrtec at a dose of 1 mg per kg every 24 hrs.

Lavender Oil has been used to combat fleas and is very useful if this is what is causing Cooper this discomfort. It is also reported to act as a calming agent which may help Cooper with the anxiety of this condition.

This LINK tells how to use Lavender Oil.

Good Luck!
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.

Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian