Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

Dog constipated

Dog constipated
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he straining to defecate?
2- How long since the last time he had a bowel movement?
3- How much does he weigh?
4- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not straining
4 days
17 lbs

We are traveling he does not seem uncomfortable eating ok.
William, the key to constipation is adequate hydration. This is what you can do:

1- Get him to drink more by offering low sodium chicken broth.
2- Add 2-3 teaspoon of canned pumpkin to his food.
3- As a stool softener you can give 1/2 teaspoon of Miralax every 24 hours or Mineral oil 1 to 2 teaspoon every 12 hours. You can find these over the counter in any pharmacy.
4- You can also give him milk as a stool softener; normally it causes diarrhea but in cases of constipation will act as a stool softener.
5- If he does not have a bowel movement within 12 hours of doing the above, have him checked by a veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Hi William,

I'm just following up on our conversation about William Toppa. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter