Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my dog drank stagnant water from the top of the pool cover.

my dog drank stagnant water from the top of the pool cover. He has been throwing up and he is not eating. He does drink water.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since he drank the water?
2- Any diarrhea?
3- How much does he weigh?
4- Is he lethargic?
5- This was rain water, correct?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He drank a small amount yesterday and some for 3 days before that. To keep him from wanting the water I added a gallon of vinegar to the water so he wouldn't like the taste as it is difficult to make sure he doesn't drink it again. He is somewhat lethargic and he did have a small amount of diarrhea. He weighs 12 pounds. It was rain water.

Kathy, certainly stagnant water can cause gastrointestinal problems like vomiting and diarrhea. Less likely they can also pick up a parasite called giardia. There could be other causes for vomiting/diarrhea like ingestion of a foreign body, infections or even part of a systemic disease. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above, he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter