Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

what happens when your dog is being treated for swollen

what happens when your dog is being treated for swollen anal glands
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It sounds like they are treating for an anal gland infection. It's not uncommon at all for these guys to be pretty sore for a couple days. They have a lot of nerve endings back there around the anus that get stimulated causing pain.

I don't think you'll need to go to an ER vet tonight. You should be able to manage this at home. I would keep giving Rimadyl as prescribed. This will help with the pain/ inflammation. The other thing you can give that's over the counter is Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). Benadryl will help with the inflammation and discomfort associated with this. It will also help him get some sleep. You can give him Benadryl at a dose of 1-2 mg per lb body weight every 6-8 hours as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the inside of his anal is very red is that a symptom . His poop is very black and looks as if there are worms. He has had his worm shots so why is his poop black and stringy?

I think you're seeing some mucus strands, not worms. That is pretty common when there is secondary inflammation in the rectum and colon. The Clavamox should help clear that up.

The red anus is also common after the rectal exam and gland emptying.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will swollen glands kill him?

No, he'll do ok. They're uncomfortable for a couple days and then they're usually back to normal fairly quickly after that.