Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

I gave my dog sentry flea control for the first time, and she

I gave my dog sentry flea control for the first time, and she is itching, whining, and hypersensitive to noise, can't sit still. do you have any remedies that i can use?
Kristin in CA
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Sydney.

Well, you did good with the diswashing liquid to remove what you can.

Benadryl. Well, this is key. But, did you give enough?

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.

Otherwise, the next best therapy is to get into an ER vet for a steroid shot. Steroids are often critical for hypersensitivity reactions.

Very sorry to hear about this complication. We see it a lot with Sentry, Hartz, and Sargeant's products.

Very sorry Kristin to hear about the complication.
If Benadryl was given a few hours ago, it's okay if you want to repeat it now.

Wish I could do more. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. Otherwise, I greatly appreciate your rating to close the question. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i'm in medical field and i have solu-cortef and solu-medrol. would either be of help and how much? They are meds for humans, though. also her stomach seems upset.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kristin,
No, I can't advise giving either of those.
Typically, we would give a shot of something like dexamethasone. FAst acting, but short duration. I would not give either of those.

If suspect stomach upset
To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.

Hope that extra info helps. I will need to retire soon for the evening, but will wait a bit in case you need any other answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I gave the additional benedryl, when can I expect symptoms to subside?

thanks

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kristin,
tough to say. it could be a few more hours to 24 hours. Keep an eye out for any local reaction where it was applied, facial swelling, or hives like reactions as well.

Good Luck!

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management