Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience treating dogs, cats, mice, rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, & iguanas
49838867

Hi Guys, I need a diagnosis for my Pembroke Welsh Corgi.

Hi Guys,

I need a diagnosis for my Pembroke Welsh Corgi. I recently took him to a dog meet and noticed the day after that his left eye was slightly swollen. I believe he has some kind of eye infection. I'm taking him to the vet this weekend but I wanted to see if I could get this issue diagnosed a little earlier.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

I'm sorry to hear that Ein's eye is swollen.

Is it his entire eye itself that is swollen?

Or is the pink area around the eye that is swollen?

Below are pictures of animals where one eye itself is more prominent and swollen.

This is usually due to increased intraocular pressure or glaucoma. Some breeds are ore likely to develop glaucoma compared to others and Corgis are a breed more predisposed to developing glaucoma. This is an emergency condition as if the pressure isn't relieved your pup could end up with permanent loss of vision or even a ruptured eye.

If the pink area or conjunctiva is swollen that is called conjunctivitis. It can be due to trauma, an allergic reaction or a bacterial or viral infection.

Below are pictures of dogs with conjunctivitis:

If this looks like conjunctivitis ideally he would see his veterinarian as eyes are delicate structures and can quickly become infected which can lead to loss of vision. I realize that may be difficult to arrange given that it is at night now.

If a veterinary visit isn't possible tonight I can give you a few things to do to make him more comfortable until you can get him seen.

I recommend flushing the tearing eye copiously with sterile saline which you can purchase over the counter at any drug store. This can help remove any foreign body irritants (like a grass awn or pollens) and should make his eye more comfortable.

Then place artificial tears into his eye every hour or two to keep it hydrated and more comfortable.

Then you can also apply a small amount of Polysporin ointment (only use a new tube so that no bacteria are introduced into the eye) 3 to 4 times daily to his eye to help prevent a secondary bacterial infection. Only do this after flushing the eye as if there is a foreign body in it ointment can cause the foreign body to stick in the eye.

All of these things, sterile saline, artificial tears and Polysporin, can be bought over the counter at the drug store.

If he is rubbing his eye place an elizabethan collar so he doesn't cause any secondary damage.

Then have his eye checked by his veterinarian as soon as possible, unless his eye looks normal in the morning, in which case keep him indoors, continue the artificial tears and Polysporin for another 5 to 7 days and watch him closely for a relapse.

Best of luck with your fellow, let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr.Kara,

Sorry about not including more details earlier I thought we were going to communicate through a chat system. From what I have observed the pink area around the side of his eyes are swollen. I've also noticed a red bump on the outside of the flap of skin in the corner if his eyes. The inside is moderately swollen. Not to the degree in the example pictures you included in the answer. It looks a bit moist and I think I possibly see white pus. It's not bothering him at the moment. It sounds like it could be conjunctivitis, with the additional information that i've provided could you confirm whether or not this is a case of conjunctivitis? is there anything I can do besides keep his eye hydrated?

Thank so much for your time.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

We can certainly chat this way as well until you feel comfortable that you have the information that you need.

You do seem to be describing conjunctivitis because of the swelling around the eye and the discharge that you are describing.

Does his eye look like this?

If so then he may have an prolapsed third eyelid gland, also known as a cherry eye.

This occurs due to weak cartilage in the third eyelid which allows the gland to prolapse out of position.

Sometimes with an eye infection or an allergic type reaction, especially if he was rubbing his face, the gland will enlarge and pop out of place. By treating the infection and inflammation with eye drops it may slide back into place, but it rarely stays in place once it has prolapsed out.

I do recommend using drops to treat inflammation and any possible infection, but ideally this would be treated surgically, tacking the gland back into place so it stays in position permanently.

Do not allow them to remove the gland. It is important in tear production and if removed most dogs will end up with dry eye, or Kerratoconjunctivitis sicca. This condition would necessitate applying artificial tears to the eye several times a day for the rest of his life, could predispose to secondary infections, or damage to his cornea leading to painful ulcers and pigmentation which could interfere with his vision.

If your veterinarian isn't comfortable with replacement surgery then ask for referral to a veterinary ophthalmologist so the surgery may be done properly.

Possible complications of the surgery are a suture reaction or that the tack doesn't take and needs to be redone, but those are short term problems which are easily remedied.

In the meantime whether this is related to a prolapsed third eyelid gland or conjunctivitis both should be kept hydrated with artificial tears and any possible secondary bacterial infection controlled/treated with antibiotic drops or ointment. Over the counter artificial tears and Polysporin are the best that you can do for him until you can have him evaluated by his veterinarian.

Best of luck with Ein, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry I missed the picture initially. It is very good and very helpful.

The swelling is on the outer corner of the eye so it isn't a prolapsed third eyelid gland.

It looks like mild conjunctivitis to me.

This can be trauma related, or from a viral or bacterial infection or allergies

I would use artificial tears, Polysporin ointment 3 to 4 times daily for a minimum of 5 to 7 days.

In case this is allergic related you can give Benadryl (diphenhydramine only don't use the combination products with decongestants and acetaminophen as they can be toxic for dogs) at 1mg to 2mg per pound or one 25mg capsule per 25 pounds of body weight orally every 8 hours. Antihistamines can cause sleepiness or hyperactivity in some dogs. These side effects do wear off with repeated use.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience treating dogs, cats, mice, rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, & iguanas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Awesome, thank you. Should I take him to the vet anyway or do you think the tears and ointment will be enough to let it naturally heal?

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

I think that you can see what he is like over the next 24 hours.

If the eye is worsening or he is squinting or rubbing his eye then he needs a hands on examination. But if he seems better then you can give him more time.

If his eye isn't much better in 5 to 7 days then he needs an examination.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll definitely keep an eye on his condition. Thank you for your help, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question this late into the night. Thanks again!

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome.

Thank you for your generosity and the positive rating.

Keep in touch and let me know how things go for him, Dr. Kara.