How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Matt Your Own Question
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 5764
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Matt is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi I have a pug, hes 10 years old, healthy and active. Yesterday

This answer was rated:

hi I have a pug, he's 10 years old, healthy and active. Yesterday he got into some trailmix I caught him before he ate a lot of it. he's been fine all day but about three hours ago before I left to go out he was panting for no reason really, it was odd that he was just randomly panting but when I got home he was having a problem standing with his back legs and i notice he pooped out only peanuts with no regular poop the peanuts were whole. I think he might be constipated.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Were there a lot of raisins in the trail mix?

What else was in the trail mix?

How much of the trail mix did Goat eat?

Is he vomiting?

Is he drinking any water today?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yea there were rasins and m&m

Thank you for the reply.

How much of the trail mix do you think he ate?

Has he been vomiting?

Will he drink any water today?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

im not sure enough to make him constipated he eats like crazy if he gets a hold of anything. maybe like 2 or 3 handfulls. he threw up peanuts tonight and i havent seen him drink any water

Thank you for the additional information.

I just had one more question and then I will be able to provide you with a very thorough answer:

How much does Goat weigh?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

25 to30 lbs

Thank you for the additional information.

I am very sorry that Goat has not been feeling himself today. The trail mix could definitely be related to his symptoms today. Constipation is a possible cause of his panting and abnormal stools though I would be more concerned about the raisins that he ingested yesterday. Raisins can be toxic to dogs if they ingest enough of them. The lowest reported toxic dose of raisins in dogs is about 0.32 ounces per kilogram of weight. This means that if weighs about 25-30 pounds (11-13.5 kilograms) he would have needed to ingest about 3-4 ounces of raisins. If he did ingest about 2-3 handfuls of trail mix it would be possible to ingest 3 ounces of raisins.

Raisin toxicity in dogs can cause vomiting, diarrhea, panting, increased drinking and urinating, abdominal pain, and severe kidney disease. The best way to determine if his kidneys have been affected by the raisins, would be to have some blood work checked by your vet or an ER vet. Since we are not exactly sure how many raisins that he ingested, I would strongly recommend taking him to a vet just to be safe. They will recommend starting him on IV fluids in order to help keep his kidneys safe and to clear the toxin from the raisins out.

I can understand that taking him to an ER vet tonight is not always possible (though if it is I would take him now), therefore you could give him something for constipation and try to relieve any vomiting at home.

One way to relieve any constipation would be to give him some canned pumpkin (not pie filling). He can eat about 1/2 of a tablespoon every 12 hours. If he continues to vomit though he may not be able to hold the pumpkin down. In that situation I would give him some pepcid AC to help with the stomach discomfort. This is very safe and virtually has no side effects. I would give him 5 mg for every 25 pounds of weight every 24 hours. This medication usually comes in 10 mg per tablet. You can get this medication from a local drug or grocery store over the counter.

He also needs to be given fluids to help hydrate him. Water is fine though if he will not drink pedialyte or low sodium chicken broth diluted 50:50 with water also can be offered.

Overall I would consider taking him to a vet though as he sounds like he could have ingested too many raisins which is causing his symptoms tonight.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question!
Dr. Matt and 2 other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your follow-up but go passed away
I am very sorry to hear about your loss of Goat. This is definitely a very difficult time for your family. Please always keep those happy memories of Goat as no one can ever take those away from you.

In Deepest Sympathy,

Dr. Matt
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you dr matt I have passed on the valuable info I learned from you so others can benefit from it.
You are welcome.

Related Dog Veterinary Questions