Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My pug is acting very strange, low energy, whimpers when you

My pug is acting very strange, low energy, whimpers when you touch the lower part of the stomach on her sides. Her head is held low and ears are back somewhat, she is arching her back in an unusual angle. No fever apparent, no vomiting, no weird stools that I have seen but I haven't seen her go today. Looks like she is lightly hiccuping too.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Genji.
Very challenging question.

The key is:
1. whimper when touching lower parts of the stomach on sides
2. light hiccuping
3. arching of back

These types of symptoms really suggest either a possible spinal pain like a disc herniation or absolutely some type of gastrointestinal pain. Even if no vomiting, stomach distress is a consideration.

Therefore, To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day, which should be divided into two or three doses. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day divided. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

Our hope is that by giving an antacid she would improve in her level of discomfort. If it doesn't help or if Genji gets worse, you'll know an ER trip is definitely worth it.

I would avoid using any over the counter pain medications like aleve, ibuprofen, tylenol or aspirin, as they run the risk of worsening the stomach with little benefit.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. Otherwise, I greatly appreciate your rating to close the question. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Could this be related to PDE? She just had a normal bowel movement. She is sitting but won't lay down.

Interesting question Alan.

The general symptoms for PDE include: Symptoms include seizures, depression, abnormal gait, blindness, staring off into space, pressing head against the wall or furniture, ataxia (a staggering walk), and intermittent screaming. What causes this disease is still unknown.

Although we could make an argument for maybe 1 or 2 of the symptoms, it does not quite fit.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Hi Alan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Genji. How is everything going?