Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My puppy has a large swollen spot in his armpit then this morning

My puppy has a large swollen spot in his armpit then this morning I popped it now It's a hole. Any idea what this is?
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Does it have a discharge?
2- Did the swelling come on quickly?
3- Is the puppy licking the area?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. Yes it did a lot. It's came it an end now.

2. The swelling went down after I drained it. But now has a hole.

3. He's trying can't quite reach the spot though.

Ashleigh, in a puppy what you are describing is most like an infection (abscess), a hematoma or seroma (redish fluid or clear color fluid) that occurred secondary to trauma, an insect bite, etc. This is what you can do:

1- Do not let him lick the opening or the medication below. If he does pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected area.
2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the wound 2-3 times a day.
3- After flushing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Hi Ashleigh,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Beaux. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter