Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My 5 month 10 pound sheltie just ate a 50 mg tablet of tramadol.

My 5 month 10 pound sheltie just ate a 50 mg tablet of tramadol. Do I need to give her peroxide?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Shrimp.
Let's pretend we wanted him to eat it. A typical dose of Tramadol for a dog is about 10-20mg for a 10 pound dog.

So, 50mg is about a double dose. That is not exceedingly high to cause any toxicity.
I would still monitor for any gastrointestinal upset, but that would be no worse than giving peroxide, which is an irritant to the stomach causing vomiting. It can also be a bit sedating.

So, no need to induce vomiting but close observation for any illness, excessive sedation, weakness/drunk like walking would be advised.

Sorry to hear what happened. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. Otherwise, I greatly appreciate your rating to close the question. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Hi Judy,
Although I have not seen it before, seizures are listed as another potential complication of overdose. So, if you do see any type of tremors, shaking, or seizure-like activity, that would also warrant an emergency trip.

Good Luck
Hello
I hope everything is going okay. May I be of any further assistance?