Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My senior Maltese has vomited white foXXXXX XXXXXquid and mucous-like

My senior Maltese has vomited white foXXXXX XXXXXquid and mucous-like thick liquid (generally clear) but once with food in the last 2 days. She is making gurgling / gagging noises that sounded like acid reflux which she has had from time to time. However, she is quite hungry and eating / drinking regularly. She is also going to the bathroom just fine. We have been giving her Pepcid AC thinking it would help her reflux but - the mucous vomit is new, she has never done that before and when she is really suffering from reflux, she loses her appetite, which has not happened. She is shaking/shivering but has no other obvious signs of pain. She tends to be a shiver-er. What could she have?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 8 months ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Zoe.
Vomiting causes can include:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.
- Less commonly, endocrine diseases like Addison’s
- Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease (liver, kidneys) and cancer.

So, in general, at her age, I would have to be suspicious for a new issue like organ disease.
The shivering/tremoring makes me nervous as it suggests bad nausea or abdominal pain.

An option to pepcid a.c. is prilosec, which is consider the best antacid for dogs.
To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg

Definitely, she will need to get back into a vet for some new testing.
A canine basic blood test and a urine test (urinalysis) may answer a lot of concerns, or at least rule-out many possible explanations.

What can tests tell you:
Chemistry Panel
CBC (complete blood count)
Urinalysis

I mention urine as well, since urinary tract infections are very common in female dogs, and can easily result in repeatitive vomiting. In addition, urine helps to evaluate kidney function and for evidence of liver problems.

Very sorry that Zoe is not feeling well. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your answer. I'm sure she didn't eat anything we don't know about because we are really hyper vigilant with her due to an operation she had 18mos ago. We don't have any standing water outside so I'm not sure about giardia. She had her compehensive senior exam in April and all her labs results were normal.

What about Bordatella as a possible cause - I read somewhere that it could cause Mucousy vomit in rare cases? That's the part that is so unusual for her. I will take her to the hospital in the morning, her reflux / sour stomach usually clears up with the Pepcid. I will have them do the tests you suggest. Thanks again.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 8 months ago.
Hi Jennifer,
Well, really an upper respiratory infection would be a consideration, but I really think its lower on my differential list based on your description.

I'll hope for a speedy recovery.
Good Luck
Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We did changed her food about 1 month ago - I forgot to mention that. I changed it back to her old dry food in the last 48hours because the Pepcid didn't seem to help.

What other symptoms would she have if its kidney failure?

Thanks again
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 8 months ago.
Kidney failure:
- substantial increase in thirst and urination
- vomiting
- loss of appetite
- with severe disease, sometimes you can smell a ammonia like odor on the breath

The change of food, even back to what it was before, could instigate stomach issues as well.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 8 months ago.
Hi Jennifer,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Zoe. How is everything going?