Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern for Zoe.
Vomiting causes can include:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.
- Less commonly, endocrine diseases like Addison’s
- Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease (liver, kidneys) and cancer.
So, in general, at her age, I would have to be suspicious for a new issue like organ disease.
The shivering/tremoring makes me nervous as it suggests bad nausea or abdominal pain.
An option to pepcid a.c. is prilosec, which is consider the best antacid for dogs.
To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
Definitely, she will need to get back into a vet for some new testing.
A canine basic blood test and a urine test (urinalysis) may answer a lot of concerns, or at least rule-out many possible explanations.
What can tests tell you:Chemistry Panel CBC (complete blood count)Urinalysis
I mention urine as well, since urinary tract infections are very common in female dogs, and can easily result in repeatitive vomiting. In addition, urine helps to evaluate kidney function and for evidence of liver problems.
Very sorry that Zoe is not feeling well. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions.
My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.