Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 42 years of experience

My 7 weeks old puppy is always energetic and playful but for

Customer Question

My 7 weeks old puppy is always energetic and playful but for some reason she's been throwing up for the past 3 hours. At first it was the yellow liquid. Then later it was a live roundworm which totally freaked me out. Then it was back to the yellow liquid. She doesn't want to eat and she's low on energy. She was last dewormed on Oct. 1, 2013. She's my first puppy and I'm totally freaking out. I don't know what to do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Pearl. While I can't know if she vomited a roundworm because she's still heavily parasitized and needs another worming or she's vomiting for an unrelated reason and happened to have a roundworm in her small intestine or stomach which came up when she vomited, it would be prudent to address the former possibility by reworming her with an over the counter product that contains pyrantel pamoate.

For now, however, because she's been throwing up she needs to be fasted for at least 6 hours and no medications be given orally. You can leave her water down but if drinking elicits more vomiting, ice cubes for her to lick should replace her water. Once vomiting has stopped for at least a couple of hours she can be wormed once again. If vomiting persists, however, dehydration and electrolyte imbalances become a worry in such a young and small dog and it would be prudent to have an on-call vet administer subcutaneous fluids to her. Injectable antiemetics such as maropitant and antacids such as famotidine might also be injected into her.

I would reworm her before you offer food again so a visit to a pet/feed store open tomorrow morning is in order. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

So you're saying I should reworm her twice in one day? When can I start feeding her? After the first or second time I reworm her?

No, you mentioned that she was last wormed 9 days ago. "Reworming her..." meant worming her once tomorrow as directed above prior to her being fed again. If she holds down the wormer for two hours, you can reintroduce her food at smaller amounts than usual but offered more frequently throughout the rest of the day. If her vomiting doesn't abate tonight or does but she then vomits the wormer tomorrow, it would be best that she be tended to by a vet who would treat her as I described above.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Oh ok. So I reworm her once then feed her after 2 hours if she's doing good. Should I reworm her in 2 weeks (just in case). I still didn't give her her first dose of Heartgard Plus (which her vet told me to give it to her when she is 8 weeks-which is next week). When can should I give her Heartgard Plus?

Yes, I like the idea of worming every 2 weeks until the pups are 12 weeks of age. I would give the Heartguard Plus tomorrow instead of purchasing a wormer containing pyrantel pamoate. The "Plus" is pyrantel pamoate! You can then use an over the counter product containing pyrantel pamoate for subsequent wormings.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 42 years of experience
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. May I have an update on Pearl, please?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Well I had to force the Heartgard Plus down her throat because she refused to eat it. Then she had diarrhea (probably from the peanut butter that I gave her to help open her mouth). A couple of hours later she ate a little bit of kibble and snacks. She's a little bit more playful now but is still a bit weak. She is recovering well and slowly. Thank you so much for helping.

Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to do so. Don't be surprised if you see roundworms expelled - from the correct end - soon!

My best to Pearl!

Please disregard the info request.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Pearl seems very sluggish and lazy this morning. She refuses to eat or drink water. She has diarrhea (lots of small, loose stool) too. What should I do? Almost 12 hours have passed by and she's still the same.

Her behavior isn't consistent with gastrointestinal parasitism - particularly after being wormed twice already. She's too young to be adequately vaccinated against parvovirus and so I have to be concerned that her lethargy, anorexia, and diarrhea could represent that dangerous virus. I must suggest that she be examined by her vet at your earliest convenience.

Please keep me posted.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thank you!

You're quite welcome. I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
May I have an update on Pearl, please?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Her vet said she was just very lethargic. She's back to being herself now. She's eating and drinking good and has a lot of energy as if nothing happened to her. Thanks for checking up on her.

I never argue with success. Thank you for taking the time to give me such a good update.

My best to Pearl!

Please disregard the info request.