Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am assuming the salmon ingested was raw? Was this caught or store purchased?
The salmon was store purchased, and had been frozen. It was raw when injested.
OK please give me one moment
The experiences I have had with salmon poisoning is with dogs that have ingested salmon along rivers/ creeks and not previously frozen
I am unsure if the process of freezing effects the disease process
Do you know if this was wild salmon or salmon raised?
I'll check package….
Great thank you
It is farm-raised, Atlantic salmon.
Then you really should be fine
As for the question in the future about freezing:
The information center advises: "Parasites become a concern when consumers eat raw or lightly preserved fish such as sashimi, sushi, ceviche, and gravlax. When preparing these products, use commercially frozen fish. Alternatively, freeze the fish to an internal temperature of -4*F for at least 7 days to kill any parasites that may be present. Home freezers may not be cold enough to kill the parasites."
Thanks! I was assuming that too, but wanted to double-check.
So was it commercially frozen or frozen after purchased is always the question
Just as a precaution, for the next two weeks monitor for gi signs or swollen lymph nodes
If found and treated early then recovery is usually swift
In the cases I have treated
But farm raised really should be free of any of these parasites
Thanks very much!