How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Peter Your Own Question
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 27798
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Peter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

our Beagle just ate 2 large chocolate cookie bars with cream

This answer was rated:

our Beagle just ate 2 large chocolate cookie bars with cream cheese, will this hurt her??
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does Annie weigh?
2- Do you have hydrogen peroxide?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

about 35lbs, no peroxide

Ed, is not likely for 2 chocolate cookies with cream cheese to be systemically toxic in a 35 lbs Annie. But, because of the fat and sugar content they can cause vomiting and diarrhea. If she develops vomiting or diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg every 12 hours for 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep her on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

Symptoms to watch for as far as chocolate toxicity:
If she becomes hyperactive, muscle tremors, changes in respiration, etc. have her checked immediately by ER veterinarian, these are symptoms that could progress to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. If no symptoms after 24 hours (especially the first 12 hours), she will be fine.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter and other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you
Hi Ed,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Annie. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Everything was fine, she never vomited or anything, thanks for your help


You're welcome.

Dr. Peter

Related Dog Veterinary Questions