Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

will chocolate hurt a dog?

will chocolate hurt a dog?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 8 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. Chocolate is toxic to dogs, very dose dependent. Can you please answer the below questions and I will be glad to let you know if it is a concern or not.

1- How much does diamond weigh?
2- How much chocolate did she eat?
3- Type of chocolate?
4- How long has it been since she ate it?
5- Do you have hydrogen peroxide?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

She is 8.5lbs. She ate a small piece of chocolate lava cake. Its been about 10 mins she ate it. Yes we have peroxide

1- Is this dark, milk, baking, etc. chocolate?
2- How many ounces did she eat?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

dark chocolate cake and less than an ounce I think. She ate it when my son dropped it on the floor. I think it was less than an ounce.

David, an 8.5 lbs Diamond would need around 1 ounce of dark chocolate to be concern about toxicity. In cake the amount of chocolate is usually less. So, if she ate less than 1 ounce of cake it is not likely for this to be systemically toxic. To be on the safe side you can go ahead and induce vomiting with peroxide. This is what you can do:

1- To induce vomiting give her 1 (one) teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide orally.

2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If she does not vomit after 3rd dose or you do not see the chocolate in the vomit, observe her for the next 24 hours. If she becomes hyperactive, muscle tremors, changes in respiration, etc. have her checked immediately by ER veterinarian, these are symptoms that could progress to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. If no symptoms after 24 hours (especially the first 12 hours), she will be fine.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.
Hi David,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Diamond. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter