Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

Please only answer, if you really know what this may be..

Please only answer, if you really know what this may be.. Have 9 year old Male Chihuahua. Last Friday night a lump was felt on his side. By Sunday it was much larger. He saw the vet Monday, but the vet wasn't sure what it was. He prescribed Antibiotics and Benadryl. Two days later, it was a little bigger. Took him back for a recheck, vet did insert a needle to see if he could get anything out (a small amount of clear fluid came out) He said to stop the Benadryl and added Metcam. It's gotten even a bit bigger as of today. He was on Antibiotics prior to this for Bronchitis. Otherwise, he is still eating, runs around and even lays on that side. Any knowledge to what this might be?

Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
My primary concerns for a acute onset fluid filled swelling include:
1. Seroma
They can form even with no evidence of trauma on the surface of the skin, and can form due to allergic reactions (i.e. insect bite or sting).

2. Abscess (infection)

3. A benign cyst is still possible

Antibiotics is very important to continue, and if it is an abscess, it may even be necessary to open it and drain it later.

If a seroma, then it was a good choice to start some type of anti-inflammatory reaction.

I would imagine it is possible this occurred as a result of an injury or a insect bite or sting reaction.

Sorry to hear about this concern for Toby. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I posted a couple of pics, were you able to see them?

Thank you

Very very interesting Lynn.
The position of the swelling is quite awkward.

I think your vet should proceed carefully. Many times, what appears to be a "cyst" can actually be something cancerous.
Many vets and even clients will quickly assume something benign like a cyst if it is just full of fluid. But, there are some cystic cancers, so if this is not resolving, a biopsy is absolutely indicated.

Very tough Lynn. if not resolving ask the vet about a biopsy (getting some tissue) not just a cytology (which is a fluid sample).

Hi Lynn,
I should clarify.
Based on the time frame of HOW FAST this swelling grew, it really makes me think of an infection or some type of allergic reaction.
So, the treatment plan of antibiotics and a anti-inflammatory is good.

Hi Lynn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Toby. How is everything going?