Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Recently I had to house a 9 week old puppy with my 2 y/o Puggle.

Recently I had to house a 9 week old puppy with my 2 y/o Puggle. Within days he seemed depressed and became lethargic. They have been together for about 3 weeks now. I also changed their food to puppy chow instead of dog chow (what my dog was used to eating) although the same brand. The pieces are much smaller. Since then my Puggle has decreased in eating significantly, has rapid breathing where his whole body shakes, and he has stopped barking. He doesn't run anymore when we take him outside on his leash. You can actually see significant changes in his body shape now. (much thinner/loose skin) I took him to the vet this week and was told that there was nothing medically wrong with him. The vet did say he could be depressed. This was the first time that the vet has seen him, so they didn't have anything to go by such a previous weight. Despite what the vet said I'm concerned that there must be something else wrong with him. Tonight I did remove the puppy from his area and bought him some of his dog chow. He refused to eat that but gulped down a can of wet dog food. I've never fed my dog wet food before.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

The change in your dog is concerning. I don't think it's all related to diet, but I would change him back to an adult food. It doesn't have to be Dog Chow, but I would go with something made for adult small breed dogs. I would go with Iams or Science Diet or Eukanuba small breed adult. You can continue to feed the puppy his Puppy Chow, but you don't want to feed an adult dog puppy chow.

The lethargy and weight loss is concerning. With those signs, I would get bloodwork run. I would check him for any signs of kidney disease, liver disease, diabetes, Addison's (low cortisol secretion) or Hypothyroidism (low thyroid function). These are all possible causes.

If something shows up on the bloodwork, then management can be discussed at that time. There are many things that can cause lethargy in dogs, so it's time to rule some of the common things in or out.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?