Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

I have a long haired chichuahua and she gets hairs stuck in

I have a long haired chichuahua and she gets hairs stuck in her throat every once in while. I have used honey before. She is so small I dont like to use antibiotics if I dont need too. What else can we do?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

Interesting question. I ironically have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, and as a result of allergies licks a lot. He gets intermittent hacking from hairs swallowed as well.

What to do?
Professional grooming. Hate to say it, but sometimes, trimming down the coat substantially can help a lot.

If Kaiha is also licking herself a lot, especially of the feet, then she may also suffer from a primary environmental or food allergy. Therefore, a good candidate to at least try a antihistamine. Let me know if she does lick herself or feet a lot.

I have seen a recommendation in the past about using a little petroleum jelly, but I like your honey idea better.

Also, giving a bit of canned food can work well.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Where would I find doggie antihistamines and how much should I try she weigh 3 lbs. She cleans herself daily but excessively she does clean her but not a lo. My husband tried some treats different than her usual dry food.

Hello Julie,
Well, that is a really small dog!

As a result I would only have two suggestions.
You could try 1/4 tablet of over the counter Zyrtec 5mg tablet antihistamine that we take. Not 10mg tablets. 1/4 of 5mg

Or, you could try benadryl. Benadryl is available in a liquid. The goal is to give about 3mg of benadryl because she weighs 3 pounds.
So, get children's benadryl liquid, which is 12.5mg per 5ml. Therefore, you only give 1ml of liquid every 8 to 12 hours. Can be a bit sedating.
1ml is a little less than a 1/4 teaspoon.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?