Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

What discharge medications would you put a dog that has been

What discharge medications would you put a dog that has been hit by a car on?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
Well, as I am sure you already know, this is an incredibly difficult question to answer accurately.
It greatly greatly depends on the stability of the pet, if there is any bad bruising, pain, risk for infection, etc...

So many options!

As a educated guess:

1. Possibly a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory like Metacam, rimadyl, or deramaxx.

2. Definitely a pain medication like Tramadol or Gabapentin

3. An antibiotic for any risk of infection with any rashes, lacerations, cuts

4. Perhaps a topical ointment or spray for any rashes or superficial injuries.

5. If there were any concern for appetite problems, vomiting, or nausea, I would add on an antacid and/or a drug like Cerenia (to help with vomiting or nausea).

That's a general summary above.
Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. This is a hypothetical case where the dog has been treated for pneumothorax and shock after being hit by a car. After several days in the ICU and having the chest tube removed she is mobile and not exhibiting urinary or fecal incontinence. Are there any specific drugs that should not be given in this situation?

Hi Lucas,
Not in particular.
Sometimes, if there are bleeding problems, steroids will be avoided.

If there is any complication with vomiting or diarrhea, antibiotics can be adjusted.

Certain antibiotics are not given with other medications.

I would probably stay a steroid like prednisone might be initially avoided. Although, some vets still use steroids for shock. Controversial still on their benefit.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, this has been very helpful, thank you.