Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.

my 15 year old boxer has cushings disease, he also has swelling

my 15 year old boxer has cushings disease, he also has swelling on his right shoulder and under his right leg kinda like his armpit, could this be related to the cushings?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 8 months ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

Swelling or edema under a leg is not typically a clinical sign of Cushing's disease in pets

Dr. Altman :

Common clinical signs, as you likely already know, include increased food intake, increased water intake/ urination, swollen belly, thinning coat

Dr. Altman :

If the swelling is new and acute (just noticed and prominent) I would advise a veterinary examination and aspiration of the lump, meaning putting a needle into the lump and evaluating the cells under the microscope to ensure this is nothing serious that needs to be addressed

Dr. Altman :

Once you have the information you can determine whether you would elect to treat the underlying cause for Jubal or monitor longterm but knowing what you are dealing with is critical in order to plan for the future

Dr. Altman :

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with

Dr. Altman :

I am going to change formats in a few moments if I see you are still having difficulties with live chat

Customer:

the swelling on the shoulder has been coming on gradually for sometime, he just had an exam and my vet did notice it at that time but it has grown quickly the last 2 weeks

Dr. Altman :

Did your vet aspirate it when first noted? In a Boxer in particular we always worry about certain types of tumors that can grow rapidly as you describe such as mast cell tumors

Dr. Altman :

If not I would definitely recommend doing so now

Customer:

he has several of the mast cell tumors and they have all been benign. I am just sitting here with him right now heartbroken because I have already spent a lot of money on him and I just do not have it to keep spending, looking for some ideas, at 15 with cushings do you feel the inevitable is coming?

Dr. Altman :

Cushing's is not a disease I tend to find being a terminal illness. I have several cushingoid cases that survive years with and without treatment.

Dr. Altman :

If there are mast cells, the term in itself are cancerous tumors. He might have several lipomas or other benign tumors but mast cells are cancerous in nature

Dr. Altman :

I completely understand your hesitation in learning more about what this is

Dr. Altman :

I am a firm believer in knowledge as power and if you elect not to pursue removal I do understand but at least you are aware of what this is and whether it is something that might shorten his life or is something you simply do not need to worry about

Dr. Altman :

Or if it something that might simply require medical intervention to resolve

Customer:

my vet has told me we need to be careful of putting him under, I assume because of his age. its really tough. thank you for your compassionate professional opinion.

Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome... definitely understand the hesitations with anesthesia but it might not be something that even requires surgery but more edema which may require diuretics. It is not high on my differential list but is a possibility

Dr. Altman :

Can I assist with any additional questions or clarify anything for you today?

Customer:

can you define edema for me

Dr. Altman :

Edema is fluid under the skin

Dr. Altman :

Somewhat fluctuant, not well defined swelling

Dr. Altman :

Unable to pick up because it is under the skin not within the skin

Dr. Altman :

Versus a well defined mass that is within the skin and sometimes able to lift away from the underlying tissue

Customer:

that is certainly what it looks like, thanks again for your help

Dr. Altman :

You are welcome, best wishes to you and Jubal

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.