Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  14 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I think my dog ate a toad last night. We live in Southern NJ,

Customer Question

I think my dog ate a toad last night. We live in Southern NJ, no poisonous toads around here that I am aware of. She was fine all night and started throwing up after eating her breakfast this morning, 4x since 6:30AM and it's now 8:00. Any ideas?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any other symptoms besides vomiting?
2- How much does she weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No other symptoms, she weighs about 62 lbs. The vomit is slimy.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Do you know the species or type of toad?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no, right now they are hibernating, so I know Harley dug her up from the ground. they typically bury themselves around the perimeter of the house and at the base of trees. Hmm, it could be a tree toad. we have toad that climb trees in the summer time, but from what my daughter told me, it seems like a typical toad that eats just insects like crickets.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Heather, even though if the toad is not systemically toxic (cardiac toxicity) they can still cause gastrointestinal upset like vomiting. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg every 12 hours for the next 3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above or if you notice any lethargy, changes in respiration, etc. she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for your assistance. I truly appreciate it.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 14 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hi Heather,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Harley. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Peter,

Well, Harley continued vomiting and it began to smell like a bowel movement, but worse so I knew that the frog was probably stuck somewhere. So I took her into the vet and they did an x-ray and did not see anything, no obstruction, nothing. There was, however, feces in her bowel that was solid, not loose. I don't think they believed she ate a frog, anyway... her liver enzymes and white blood count were elevated and she was also starting to run a fever. I knew the frog was taking its toll on her. The admitted her and hooked her up to IV and administered antibiotics. She was not given any food until Saturday night. She was able to keep a tiny bit down. But still no bowel movement. I requested to bring her back home to see if she would be more comfortable and within 15 minutes of being home, she pooped out the frog! My daughter was laughing, you could see an eye and the legs. It was so gross and the smell was worse than the horse farm down the street on a hot, humid day! Anyway, she is fine and back to her normal self. Thank you for checking in, it would be nice if you were in the area! Thanks for all your help.

Heather Suckiel and Harley

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
OMG Heather, that is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing the outcome, I am glad she is feeling better after passing the frog. Maybe she learned her lesson

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
. Regards to Harley, nice talking with you.

Dr. Peter