Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My dog started hiccuping and coughing (hacking) last night

My dog started hiccuping and coughing (hacking) last night like he had something stuck in his throat. He kept eating grass and was panting, seemed agitated and was salivating from the mouth. I took him to the emergency vet who said that he thought it could be caused by burrs, and didn't think it necessary to sedate him and put a camera down his throat yet. He gave him an anti inflammatory and anti-biotics. He said it may take a few hours to get better.

This morning he still has periods of hiccuping and he still wants to eat grass. He has not been sick and seems bright, but does not seem comfortable. I am worried the vet may have missed something. Can anyone help? Alfie is an 11 year old Yorkshire Terrier and has never had anything like this before. Thank you
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I would agree that something more should be done. I would want to get x-rays of his chest. I would do that to look for any obstruction in his esophagus, irritation to the esophagus or narrowing of the windpipe (aka collapsing trachea).

If there is something stuck in the esophagus, then an endoscope can be used to relieve it. This is usually due to dogs trying to swallow parts of rawhides or toys and them getting stuck.

If it's a collapsing trachea, we'll use steroids and sedatives to relieve the coughing/ hacking. This is a common condition in yorkies. Here is a nice link on collapsing tracheas in dogs:

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your answer, would any of these cause him to want to eat grass and salivate?

Yes, disease in the esophagus (foreign body or esophagitis) will cause them to eat grass and salivate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX take him back to the vet today.

That sounds like a good idea. The x-rays will give you some answers.