Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a one year old female Heeler she started throwing up

I have a one year old female Heeler she started throwing up around 8:30pm threw up one large chunk ( 1 1/4" x 1 1/4") of what we think is part of a calf hoof that we bought at the store she has thrown up about 5 more times. Has not thrown up since 11:pm but is shaking slightly like she is cold. Do I need to call emergency vet or am I safe to take her first thing in the morning when our regular vet is open?
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

This is a situation where I would really worry about a foreign body obstruction in the small intestine. Hopefully the hoof just caused some irritation and vomiting, but we can see these cause an obstruction. I would get x-rays taken first thing in the morning when your vet opens. If she seems really painful or the vomiting doesn't let up, then I would use an ER vet. She should be ok to wait though.

If there is an obstruction, then surgery will need to be done to remove it. If it's just irritation, then anti-nausea meds and GI protectants should help get this resolved.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If she has already thrown up the large piece what would be the signs that there might be obstructions in the small intestine?

If there is continued vomiting, abdominal pain and lack of an appetite- those are all signs of an obstruction. The x-rays in the morning will tell you for sure if there is another piece stuck further down in the small intestine.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank You.

You're welcome.