Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I have a 6 year old Cock-a-poo he is very restless and is

I have a 6 year old Cock-a-poo he is very restless and is shaking his head alot an his left ear is very red and inflammed and itchy. Should I take him to the vet now or wait until the morning?  He's also panting alot.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

You don't need to go to an ER vet for an ear infection. You can wait until morning to take him in. They will probably try a different ear med or put him on oral medications to get this cleared up.

In the mean time, you can give some over the counter Benadryl at home. That will help with some of the irritation and discomfort. The dose of Benadryl in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight every 6-8 hours as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you

You're welcome.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Copper. How is everything going?