Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

Is it safe to give my 76 lb dog 100mg of Rimadyl 2 x daily

Is it safe to give my 76 lb dog 100mg of Rimadyl 2 x daily..?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

Well, it depends.
The labeled dose for rimadyl is about 4.4mg/kg once a day. So, at 76 pounds, that would mean giving about 150mg once a day.

But, your question is if it is safe?
To answer that question, depends on your vet and recent blood testing. Generally, vets like to do at least a basic blood test to check liver enzymes and kidney values when start any type of anti-inflammatory medication. So, of course, I can't say whether it is 100% safe since I have not performed an examination or seen any type of blood testing. if it was not originally prescribed to him, I would hold off giving it until you can at least consult your vet.

But, as a general dose, 100 to 150mg once a day would be a typical dose for a 76 pound dog.

Also, some vets do still prescribe rimadyl at twice a day dosing, which is half as much but twice a day. Clinical studies indicate no advantage to giving twice a day over a higher dose once a day.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?