Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

just rehomed this dog 11 2 he appeared neglected, very skinny,

just rehomed this dog 11 2 he appeared neglected, very skinny, he has had diarrhea 4 days now...very frisky, happy alert
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting?
2- Any other symptoms besides the diarrhea?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no vomiting, no other symptons, I am traveling in a MH, but have been stopped at RV Park since Sat...dogs stool was soft 1st day Sat, then degenerated to extreme diarreah. I thought perhaps all the change, apparently previous owner only had him for 1 mo before they passed him onto me, so I don't have much background on Wulf..

Mary it is possible the diet change could be the cause for the diarrhea. Other possible causes are: Intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amounts of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Consider getting him dewormed. You can buy Panacur (fenbendazole), give it once a day for 3 days, repeat after 3 weeks. You can buy panacur in some pet stores, online ( or vet's office.

5- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24-48 hours, have him checked by a veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

there are no sign of worms in his stool, could he still have them?

Mary, most of the worms that affect dogs can Not be seen in the stool with the naked eye, you would need a microscope. Yes he could still have worms even though you are not seeing any worms in the stool.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter