Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My 81 lb male American Bulldog was neutered today and the Rimadil

My 81 lb male American Bulldog was neutered today and the Rimadil 75mg does not be helping for pain. He is very restless and whining a lot He was prescribed 75 mg Rimadil every 12hrs. I gave him one at 11am and then borke down and gave him another oned at 6:30pm. He also had benedryl 40mg at 3pm for his allergies. Is there anything else I can do for his pain?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Boss.

Unfortunately, no.
Rimadyl is often given at a double dose once a day, so don't worry that you gave it sooner. Benadryl will have some sedative effect.

What about pain?
Well, you can't give any over the counter medications. None. While on rimadyl, drugs like aspirin, ibuprofen, aleve or tylenol can cause serious gastrointestinal problems.

So, our only other option is to get into a vet, any vet, for a prescription of some nice pain medication to complement the Rimadyl, which is actually a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory.

By far, most vets would send Tramadol home in this situation, and not too expensive either.
Very sorry you are in a stuck situation. Sometimes, a cold compress can help, but many dogs do get agitated by it.

Wish I could do more for Boss. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Hi Debora,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Boss. How is everything going?